2010年8月2日星期一

In-ear pleasure

Since 2008, I have been using my Panasonic In-Earphones religiously. It has literally been everywhere I’ve gone since then. But after two years of constant use, it is definitely showing its age. I didn’t want to replace it, but it was time to at least have a second pair.

The said Panasonic In-Earphones have spoiled me with great sound even when using high quality lossy MP3s. Highs, Mids, and Lows were distinct, not to mention that the lows were pretty bass-y especially coming from small earphone drivers. What I wanted for my second pair was as close to the same quality in-earphones without breaking the bank. This means I wasn’t going for the PhP4,000 to PhP13,000 earphones.

For the longest time, I have been eyeing the Philips SHE-9700 in-earphones. For less than PhP2,000, I was getting a pair of in-earphones that exceeded my favorite, long-in-the-tooth, earphones, at least on paper. Having a frequency range of 6 – 23,000Hz (from the normal 20 – 22,000Hz), Impedance of 16 Ohm, and Sensitivity of 103 dB, I was expecting a lot. Did they impress? In a word, Yes. In more than one word, the quality is as pristine as my Panasonic, if not a bit better. On the other hand, the bass is decent. The bass is clean and clear but there is not enough power behind it. I’m not looking for bass that will shake my brain out my nose, but still want power especially when listening to bass-heavy music.

In terms of form-factor, the earphone wire is only 0.6 meters with a 0.6 meter extension wire.

The in-ear buds are not symmetric which means you have to wrap the longer right ear bud wire on your nape. Speaking of the earbuds, because of how the earbuds are shaped, they are very comfortable on the ears, so much so, although you know you are wearing these in-earphones, you may forget that they are actually being worn. Philips has done great work with the shape of the SHE-9700.

Would I recommend the SHE-9700? Well, for the most part yes, especially for the price. For those that want more bass in their in-eaphones, Philip does offer a similar in-earphone that emphasizes bass, the SHE-9550.

没有评论:

发表评论